Thursday, 31 December 2015

Golspie Place Names

Sourced from many books & lists by Christine Stokes. Offered here not as a definitive list but solely as a genealogical guide. 
Golspie is a small parish, being only eight miles in length and six in breadth. Here is the residence of the Earls of Sutherland, Dunrobin Castle. The ancient name of the parish was Culmaily, but in 1619 the church was transferred to Golspie. The parish name is Norse, Gill’s-bie, the township of the glen.

In the 18th century the only road in the parish was the shore road leading to Caithness; townships were linked merely by footpaths and riding tracks. Before the Mound was made, the river was tidal to above Morvich and flooding occurred at high tides and with the river in spate.

A map of Golspie which shows the main places in this list together with the notes shown here as to position should help you find where your ancestors lived! There is a Google map of Golspie are on right.

There are also a few maps HERE including map above in full size. By right clicking on each map you can save a copy to your own computer. 
ABERSCROSS (Aberschoir, Hibberscor, Abbirscross, Aberscors – natives pronounced it Aberscaig – water – could be Pictish) – Aberscross is on Strath Fleet behind Mound, near Morvich and Kinnauld, Rogart – there was also East Aberscors – which lay just below Aberscross towards Craigton
ACHLUNDY – inland from Strathlundy
AULDSPUTIE (Sputie) – north of Strathsteven
BACKIES – Norse, Banks – north of Golspie village near Dunrobin
BADDAN (Badan) – Gaelic, a small location – near Kirkton and Culmaily
BALBLAIR – Gaelic, township plain – near Loch Fleet and the Mound
BALNACLACH – on shore near Strathsteven
BIG BURN - one of the finest woodland walks in Sutherland through beautiful woodland to the burn itself
CLAYSIDE – Gaelic, a raised fence, an enclosure or Norse, cliff hamlet – north of Dunrobin
COXTOWN & BRIDGEND – northern end of Golspie village
CRAIGTON (Craigtoun) – in the same area as Aberscross near Loch Fleet
CROIT FHRAOCH (Krontuich) – near Uppat
CULMAILIE (Culmaily, Culmaily Kirkton) – Gaelic, church saint or from Cuil Mhailidh, narrow place – south of Golspie village
CULMAILIE MILNTON – inland from Ballone and Lonmore
DEER PARK – in the area of Golspie Tower and Golspie Burn
DRUMMUIE (Drummuy) – Gaelic, ridge on plain – south of Golspie village, near Rhiorn
FARLARLY (Farralarrie) – Gaelic, Fuar-laraich, cold habitations – north of Dunrobin Glen near Achvoan, Rogart
GLEN – west of Backies – good distance inland
GOLSPIE (Golspikirkton) – Norse, Kill’s big farm
GOLSPIE BURN – small cluster of houses in 1841 census close to Golspie Tower
GOLSPY MILNTON (Golspie Mills)
GOLSPIE TOWER (Golspytour) – next to Rhives, to the west of Golspie village
IRONHILL – in 1841 census shown in same area as Culmaily
KIRKTON – known as Golspie Kirkton this is now Duke Street (Birth of a Village, Margaret Wilson Grant)
LITTLEFERRY (Ferrytown) – south of Golspie, at mouth of Loch Fleet
LONMORE (Lonemore) – near Balloan
MELLAIG – north of Dunrobin and Clayside
MORVICH – Pictish, plain by the sea or large field by the sea – near Mound & Aberscross
MOUND – on main road at Loch Fleet
OLD RIVES – on shore south of Golspie
ORLTOWN (Allertoun) – near Golspie Mills
RHIORN – near Lonmore
RHIVES (Rives of Golspy) – English form of Gaelic, a slope – west of Golspie village – see also Old Rives
SALACHIE (Sallach, Sallachton) – Gaelic, muddy – close to Balloan
STRATHLUNDY – behind Culmaillie
STRATHSTEVEN – north of Dunrobin on main road
UPPAT – Norse, high place – pronounced ‘oopaid’ – north of Dunrobin, opposite Strathsteven and close to Doll, Clyne
updated 12/03/2016

Wednesday, 30 December 2015

Backies in 1870

Backies as it was in 1870 with its 41 houses all occupied. 
The plan was made out in 1921 by Mr Hugh Munro, an uncle of Mr Hugh Munro, Park Cottage, Golspie, and of Mrs Cathie Walsh, whose family home was in the Backies. 

Here is Mr Munro's list of names of householders in the Backies in 1870 which first appeared in the 'Northern Times' in 1957.  Each of the following names had a separate house.
FERGUSON Janet and C (Lodge), 
GORDON George, 
GORDON Widow, 
GRANT Betty, 
LESLIE George, 
LESLIE J and H, MACBEATH Alex (Lodge), 
MACGREGOR John junior, 
MACKAY Eneas (Angus), 
MUNRO Don (carrier), 
MUNRO Hugh, 
MUNRO John, 
MUNRO Mrs W., 
MURRAY Cursty, 
MURRAY Duncan, 
ROSS Donald, 
STEWART (Old School), 
SUTHERLAND Sergeant. A., 
SUTHERLAND Widow, Kirsty (Craggan) & Cripple Tom.
updated 02/03/2016 

Tuesday, 29 December 2015

Golspie Tenantry circa 1860

submitted by Shirley Sutherland, Golspie 

Sketch of the houses in Golspie, with the names of the occupants, September, 1860”. That is the title of a document which was discovered around 1960 in the Sutherland Estates Office at Golspie when the staff were sorting out old files. It was handed to “The Northern Times” by the factor, Mr Thomas Adam, who thought the names would be of interest to many in the village.
What is now Church Street is shown in the sketch, but if there were houses there 100 years ago the author has not given the names of the tenants in the spaces drawn and these seem to have been incorporated with those shown on Shore Street.
Many “by-names” are given (a by name was the name many families, normally Mackay, Macdonald or Sutherland, took in order to differentiate themselves from the numerous others of the same name).

The document refers to a map which appears not to have been published. We are searching for it! If anyone can help please contact me.

The east end of the map ends at the British Linen Bank House (Donald GRAY, agent) on one side of Main Street and on the other two houses (Magnus SMITH, mason and Mrs. MUNRO, schoolmistress) - these are presently occupied by Mr John MELVILLE and Mr W. MACKAY.

The population of the parish of Golspie at that time was 1615, and there were 450 people living in Fishertown - all depending on the fishing industry. There was no pier in 1860, and all of the 23 small fishing boats had to be launched and hauled on to the beach by the fisherwomen. Very often they had to go waist-deep into the sea.

Starting from the end of Shore Street and working east along Main Street, on the sea side, the names are:- 
William MACDONALD “Kennedy”; Alex GRANT, jun.; Hector MACDONALD, Adam MACDONALD, Donald SUTHERLAND, “Graisich”. Alex GRANT, sen., John SUTHERLAND, Andrew SUTHERLAND, Donald SUTHERLAND, “Davie”, John MACDONALD, “Mhor”, William MACDONALD “Mhor”, Alex SUTHERLAND, “Graisich” (all fishermen); John MACKAY (tailor).
Alex SUTHERLAND (fisher); Widow MACDONALD “Baikie” (fisher’s widow); William SUTHERLAND “More” (fisher); Widow Alex. SUTHERLAND (fisher’s widow); William MACRAE (fisher); John MACDONALD, “Adam” (fisher); George MACKAY (shoemaker); Alex. SUTHERLAND, “King” (fisher); John STAGE (tinsmith); Widow SUTHERLAND (pensioner’s widow).
Widow SUTHERLAND (fisher’s widow); Widow SUTHERLAND “Graisich” (fisher’s widow); John SUTHERLAND “Noe” (fisher); Hector SUTHERLAND (fisher); James Davy (fisher); John GRANT (fisher); Robert MACRAE (fisher); Robert MACRAE, jun. (fisher); Widow URQUHART (fisher’s widow)
Widow MACRAE (fisher’s widow); John MACKAY (ploughman); James MACDONALD “Kennedy” (fisher); James MACKAY (tailor); George MACKAY (carter); John MACDONALD (couper); R. GUILLAN (fish-curer); stable.
Andrew MACKAY; Robert SUTHERLAND (mason); William MACRAE (tailor); John GORDON (carter); Alex. ANDERSON (tailor); Alex MURRAY (carpenter); John GRANT (road contractor); Peter POLSON (merchant); I and A SUTHERLAND (merchants); John GRANT (clerk), pulled down; Alex CAMPBELL (mason); Murdoch MUNRO (shoemaker); Widow MATHESON (catechist); William SUTHERLAND (blacksmith); John MURRAY (cart-wright); storehouses.

William Begg’s garden; Wm BEGG (merchant); John ARMSTRONG (plumber); Mrs LINDSAY (ironmonger); Thomas FRASER (parish schoolmaster); Donald MACKAY (tailor); Donald GRANT (carter); John ROSS (tinsmith); James MURRAY (merchant). James MUNRO (Cartwright); David GUNN (shoemaker); Donald GUNN (shoemaker); Widow John ROSS (midwife); Mrs LOW (innkeeper and merchant); William WATSON (carpenter) Neil MACLEOD (mason); James LINDSAY (ironmonger); John MACGIBBON (gardener); John MACINTOSH (carter); Alex. MACKAY (carpenter); Widow Alex. NOBLE; Magnus SMITH (mason); Mrs MUNRO (school mistress).

Then, starting at what are now the Duchess Cottages opposite “The Northern Times” office, and working east to the British Linen Bank:
Widow GRAHAM, Margaret MURRAY, Margaret MURRAY, Widow MACLENNAN, Widow SUTHERLAND, “Davie”, Annie SUTHERLAND “King”, Widow BAILLIE; Margaret GRANT.

Then on to what is now Heavitree - James ANDERSON (carrier); William SUTHERLAND, “Noe” (mason); Donald MACDONALD (fisher); Widow PAXTON; Hector URQUHART (fisher); John MACDONALD (labourer); Widow MACLEOD; Christy MACINTOSH; Donald CAMPBELL (mason) Widow William CUTHBERT; John J. MACKENZIE (plasterer); Donald GUNN (fisher); Widow J. THOMSON (mason’s widow); Hector MACDONALD “Kennedy” (fisher); John SUTHERLAND (fisher); Thomas SUTHERLAND (fisher); Widow H. SUTHERLAND (fisher’s widow); Widow Donald SUTHERLAND.
John MUNRO (shoemaker); Alex CUTHBERT (tailor); Widow Alex. GUNN; Marion SUTHERLAND; John MOODIE; Hugh SKINNER (saddler); James TURNER (carpenter).

Alex. NICOL (carpenter); Widow CALDER (carpenter’s widow); John ROSS (shopman); Alex. GUNN (shopman); Murdoch ROSS (shopman); Margaret ROSS (housekeeper); William SUTHERLAND (labourer); James SMITH (saddler); William BEGG (merchant); Mrs ROSS (mason’s widow).
James HALL (carpenter); Robert MACDONALD (painter); Miss LAWSON'S School; James GUNN (tailor); George ALEXANDER (plasterer); James SUTHERLAND (baker); Alex MACLEOD (shoemaker); Reading Room; Widow SUTHERLAND; Mrs ROBERTSON; Margaret MURRAY (sister); William MACINTOSH (labourer); Donald CLARK (labourer); William SUTHERLAND formerly D. NEISH, pro tem (labourer) Robert MUNRO (grocer); John SUTHERLAND (slater); Miss MACLEOD.

Here in the sketch is the road to Rhives, and then follows:-
William B. JAMES (watchmaker); Miss MACGLASHAN (innkeeper); Robert MEIKLE (miller); Samuel TAGGART (carpenter); Simon FRASER (carpenter); Widow Alex. MACKAY (tailor); Alex. WATSON (shoemaker); Mrs Dougald WATSON; Robert HAMILTON (shoemaker); George OLSON (labourer); Alex MACGRIGOR (draper); one house pulled down; Mrs OLIVER; John THOMSON (labourer); Alex CAMERON (saddler); Donald MACKENZIE (weaver and church officer); Hugh GRANT (shoemaker); Widow Dav. SPANKIE (labourer’s widow); Kenneth GUNN (carpenter); Widow D. SUTHERLAND; Alex. CALDER (druggist); Mrs PENDRITH (miller’s widow); Donald GORDON (labourer); Roderick MACLEOD (labourer); Andrew GUNN (shoemaker); George WALKER (carpenter); William MACKAY (carpenter); John MUNRO (baker); Adam ANDERSON (blacksmith); then there is vacant ground; Donald GRAY (bank agent).