Backies as it was in 1870 with its 41 houses all occupied.
The plan was made out in 1921 by Mr Hugh Munro, an uncle of Mr Hugh Munro, Park Cottage, Golspie, and of Mrs Cathie Walsh, whose family home was in the Backies.
Here is Mr Munro's list of names of householders in the Backies in 1870 which first appeared in the 'Northern Times' in 1957. Each of the following names had a separate house.
FERGUSON Janet and C (Lodge),
LESLIE J and H, MACBEATH Alex (Lodge),
MACGREGOR John junior,
MACKAY Eneas (Angus),
MUNRO Don (carrier),
MUNRO Mrs W.,
STEWART (Old School),
SUTHERLAND Sergeant. A.,
SUTHERLAND Widow, Kirsty (Craggan) & Cripple Tom.