Sunday, 3 January 2016

Main Street part 4

Note: larger version of photographs HERE.
Number on Estate plan 83 – now Trawler Restaurant
Built by Alexander MURRAY in 1837 - owned by him in 1850
This is probably the house where Alexander ANDERSON, tailor, was living in 1860 – he was between John Gordon and Alexander Murray. In the 1861 census Alexander ANDERSON, age 33, born in Tain, a master tailor lived here with his wife Ann GORDON, age 21, born in Golspie and their children – the family remained her until at least 1891 when Alexander, a widower, moved to Ross-shire to live with a daughter. 

Alexander Anderson, a tailor, was born in Tain, Ross & Cromarty in 1826, son of Henry Anderson and Margaret Corbett. Ann Gordon was born in Golspie in 1833 daughter of John Gordon, tailor, and Margaret Grant. Alexander and Ann married in Tain on 7 February 1851. In 1851 they were living with her parents in Main Street, Golspie. In 1861 Alexander, a master tailor, Ann and their children were living in Golspie – on Main Street close to her parents. In 1871 Alexander and Ann were at home in Main Street, Golspie with John, Margaret, Henry, William, Simon, Charles and Alexander. All the children except 2 year old Alexander were scholars. Walter Skinner, a 17 year old tailor’s apprentice from Tain made up the household. Ann died in Golspie in 1872 aged only 39 years. 
In 1881 and 1891 Alexander was a widower, living in the Village of Golspie. He spoke both Gaelic and English. He moved to Ross & Cromarty to live with his married daughter Margaret. He died there in 1905.
Mr Anderson was at the time of his death 78 years of age and had lived and worked in Golspie for considerably over half a century. Born in Ross-shire, near Tain, a son of Mr Harry Anderson who was catechist for many years with Dr. Mackintosh, Tain, he came to Golspie when he was about 20 years of age. His business of tailor was a large and prosperous one, and he employed at one time any number up to 15 hands. No man was more honoured or respected than Mr Anderson. His whole life was an example to others, both in its business and social aspects. He was a warm upholder of the United Free Church, and was a leading spirit, locally, in the Gaelic speaking portion of the congregation, into the work of which he threw all his energies.About five years ago deceased moved to Crowmore, where his son-in-law is a schoolmaster and, except for yearly visits to the old place, Mr Anderson was a stranger to the village in which he had lived so long. He never lost his love for Golspie, however, and before his death, he expressed a desire to be buried in the cemetery there, a desire which was duly carried out by his affectionate children, who had waited upon him to the end. The remains were conveyed by steamer and rail to Golspie on Friday, and the funeral to the churchyard was one of the largest and most representative ever seen in the district, and bore testimony to the esteem and respect in which the deceased was held in the community. Deceased is survived by one daughter – Mrs Bruce, Crowmore Schoolhouse – who nursed her father in his last illness, and five sons, three of whom are doing splendidly in the United States, and other two in the old country doing equally well” (NT 11/1905). 
Number on Estate plan 84 – now Grant & Sons, Butchers
Built by Alexander MURRAY in 1846 - owned by him in 1850 - still there in 1860


Number on Estate plan 85 & 86 - now 95 Main Street – formerly Hynd’s Buildings, Marchmont, Co-op drapery and now Kirkland Communications.
Originally two houses built by Charles SUTHERLAND, son of Andrew Sutherland, tacksman and merchant in Pittentrail, Rogart and in Golspie in 1820. Charles also held the feu of Roviekirkton in Rogart. He married Elizabeth, daughter of William KEITH, minister of Golspie
House 85 owned by Mrs DUNCAN in 1850
House 86 owned by widow of Colin GRANT in 1850 – she also owned no. 96 – Colin Grant shows on 1826 militia list as a vintner in Golspie.
In 1867 (possibly both houses) were owned by a William FOWLER
“Tall, former Co-op with a strong Scottish Renaissance flavour, its cured corner corbelled out at wallhead as a square, crowstepped caphouse, a circular stair-turret projects at the rear” (“Sutherland, An Architectural Guide” Elizabeth Beaton, 1995)

Number on Estate plan 86 – see above reference

Number on Estate plan 87
Andrew ROSS built the house in 1808 - Mrs DUNCAN owned it in 1850

Number on Estate plan 88 – now known as Beachview
Alexander MACKAY built house in 1800. The Duke of Sutherland owned it in 1850

Number on Estate plan 89 – now known as Duffas House
Donald CALDER built house built the house in 1790. He bought 3 stances, this one, 90 and 91. This house and the two extra stances were bought by Mrs John Low (Margaret Sutherland), wife of John, merchant and daughter of Andrew Sutherland, tacksman of Pittentrail, Rogart and merchant of Golspie. Margaret was a widow by 1850 and held interest in eleven separate properties in Main Street. In 1851 she is shown as a draper and grocer. She died in 1879 aged 89. She is buried in St Andrew’s churchyard.
Mrs John LOW owned it in 1850

Number on Estate plan 90 & 91 - Formerly North of Scotland Dairy - now Mitchell’s Chemist
Built by Mrs LOW in 1844 - owned by her in 1850

Number of Estate Plan 92
Built by Mrs LOW in 1844 – owned by her in 1850

Number on Estate plan 93 & 94 – now Chinese Takeaway – formerly Campbell’s Bicycle shop
Andrew MACLEOD built the house in 1815 - Andrew MACLEOD owned it in 1850

Number on Estate plan 95 Number on Estate plan
Formerly Smithy Lane - now Campbell’s Lane. Owner of Chinese Takeaway lives here at present.
Built by The Duke of Sutherland in 1849 - owned by him in 1850

Number on Estate plan 96 – name not known but there is a house here
Built by Charles SUTHERLAND in 1818 who also built no. 96 - owned by widow of Colin GRANT in 1850 – she also owned no. 96

Number on Estate plan 97 – formerly Sutherland & Co., Drapers (run by Sinclair), now 2nd Best Charity Shop
Built by Lord Stafford in 1822 - owned by the Duke of Sutherland in 1850

Number on Estate plan 98
Built and owned by William BEGG in 1850 - William was still there in 1860, a merchant

Number on Estate plan 99 – formerly The Northern Times now Golspie Paper Shop
Lord Stafford built the house in 1810 - Duke of Sutherland owned it is 1850 - John ARMSTRONG, plumber, lived here in 1860

Number on Estate plan 100 – formerly Grants of Dornoch, now an Optician
Built by Andrew LINDSAY in 1832 - when Andrew built this house he was a blacksmith and ironmonger with two children born in Golspie, Elizabeth in 1818 and James in 1820. Listed in Trades People 1837 as blacksmith and ironmonger - he died about 1845 when his widow Henrietta carried on the business. She had been his second wife, his first having died soon after James’s birth and she was left with six young children of her own to care for plus her two step-children. James at first followed his father’s trade but soon set up on his own extending his business successfully. Lindsay’s operate on Main Street today.
Mrs Lindsay lived here in 1860, ironmonger. She is shown with her children in the 1851 census.

Number on Estate plan 101 – now Caberfeidh Hotel
Built by David BELL in 1832 - owned by the Duke of Sutherland in 1850 - Thomas FRASER, parish schoolmaster lived here in 1860



Number on Estate plan 102 - now known as Craigmhor
Built by Alexander MACKAY in 1832 - owned by Widow MACKAY in 1850 - Donald MACKAY, tailor, here in 1860. Donald is shown on our 1837 Trades People list as a tailor. The 1861 census shows Donald living alone. He was born in Golspie circa 1799.

Not shown on 1850 plan but house here in 1860
Donald GRANT, carter lived here in 1860 – between Donald Mackay, tailor and John Ross, tinsmith

Number on Estate plan 103 - now known as Lonemore
Built by Andrew MACGREGOR in 1832 - owned by John ROSS in 1850 – shown on 1837 Trades People list as tin-plate worker - John Ross, tinsmith, here in 1860


Number on Estate plan 104 – now known as Melford House (formerly owned by the Lindsay family)
Built by Alexander ROSS in 1835 - owned by James MURRAY in 1850 – James Murray, draper shown on our 1837 Trades People list - James MURRAY, merchant, here in 1860 Family Information


Number on Estate plan 105 – formerly Oman's House, now known as Cairnlea
Built by Hugh MACGREGOR in 1833 - owned by him in 1850 - living here in 1860 was James MUNRO, Cartwright
Read Sheila Mackay's Memories of living in this house

Number on Estate plan 106 – formerly a shop – now dentist
Built by David GUNN in 1822 - owned by Donald GUNN in 1850 - David Gunn, shoemaker lived here in 1860 – he is also shown on the 1837 Trades People list

Number on Estate plan 107 – now known as Benula
Build by Donald GUNN in 1822 - owned by him in 1850 - Donald Gunn, shoemaker, lived here in 1860

Number on Estate plan 108 – now known as Mountainview
Built by John ROSS in 1826 - owned by him in 1850 - Widow John Ross, a midwife, lived here in 1860
Read Allan Lannon's Memories of living next to this house

Number on Estate plan 109 – now A G Campbell fish shop
Built by John LOW in 1833 - owned by Mrs LOW in 1850 - Mrs Low, innkeeper and merchant, here in 1860 - William WATSON, carpenter, lived in this house in 1860

Number on Estate plan 110 – formerly Tarbat Cottage now known as Seacrest*
Number on Estate plan 111 – now known as Helensville*
Seacrest and Helensville are described as “early 19th century pair 2-storey, 3-bay houses”.
“Seacrest was built in 1818 by George Henry, a single storey house. A second storey was added later probably in 1832 when John LOW built Helensville on the next stance. Both John Low and his wife Margaret, daughter of the wealthy Andrew SUTHERLAND of Pittentrail, Rogart, were successful merchants and in 1833 they added a shop, attached to the west gable of Seacrest. They also built a tiled byre, cart shed, washhouse and stable in the back areas. Low died in 1844 but his widow continued the shop as a drapers until her own death in 1879 when it was taken over and developed still further in this line by Charles MACLEAN, married to a daughter of James LINDSAY, ironmonger” (M Grant Wilson).
* Seacrest and Helensville are listed buildings

Number on Estate plan 112
Shows on plan but no information

Number on Estate plan 113 & 114 – now known as Clach Ruadh* and Anvil House* photo on left Clach Ruadh

Described as “Pair early 19th Century 2-storey houses of slightly different builds - former smithy to rear” – built in 1837 as a single long house on the double stance taken by Neil Macleod, a middle-aged mason who had been an apprentice working at the castle in 1810 and who had reared a large family. In 1850 the east end of the house was occupied by Dr. James Ross of Cambusmore who was building a large house for himself near the church. Date of Smithy not yet ascertained. Not marked in 1850 plan but is indicated on 1873 OS map. It is still in use (1985).

Neil Macleod, mason, here in 1860 – Neil was also listed as a stone-mason on our 1837 Trades People list
* These two properties are classed as ‘listed’ buildings
Photograph on left is Anvil House
and below it the 'former smithy to the rear'

This is the spot that is LINDSAY’s* main shop today. On Estate plan 100 – Andrew Lindsay had started the business in 1832. His son James later started up on his own here. He married Mary Richardson and they had three children Andrew, born in 1848, Elizabeth who married Charles Maclean – and Alice who married James Mennie, Golspie’s first qualified dispensing chemist.
The building is described as “mid-19th century 2-storey shop and house”. Built in 1852 by James Lindsay on the easternmost third of Neil Macleod’s double stance – see previous reference – the house portion being joined on to the end of Macleod’s long house which had been vacated by Dr Ross in 1851
* listed building


Number on Estate plan 115 – now known as Glenorrin
No information

Number on Estate plan 116 - formerly Snow Cottage, now Lindsay & Co. Showroom
Built by Angus MACKAY in 1843 - owned by him in 1850


Number on Estate plan 117 – now known as Rosedene
Built by Alexander MACKAY in 1843 - owned by him in 1850

Number on Estate plan 118 now known as Seaview
William MACKAY built the house in 1814 - William MACKAY owned it in 1850
This appears to be where two unmarried sisters of Donald Murray, draper lived. The Misses Murrays had a Daimler car and hired Innes Gordon who lived next door to the Co-op, on the Fountain Road side, to chauffeur them around! The car was kept in a garage which was dismantled and sold to a man in Caithness very recently.


County Offices
old photo with staff

and as it looks today

Post Office

Number on Estate plan 119 – now known as Ceol-na-mara and Morven
Built by the Duke of Sutherland in 1847 - owned by him in 1850

Number on Estate plan 120
No information


Number on Estate plan 121
Built and owned by Dr. James ROSS of Cambusavie in 1850 – this house was said to be next to the British Linen Bank, where the Parliamentary road passed in front of the church – but as the road changed it is now opposite. As well as the house Dr Ross put up a stable and gig-shed and was granted a 99 year lease. He had previously been sharing a house on the opposite side of the road with Neil Macleod.

Number on Estate plan 122
Built by the Duke of Sutherland in 1840 - owned by him in 1850

Number on Estate plan 123
No information

Number on Estate plan 124
Build by Lord Stafford in 1826 - owned the Duke of Sutherland in 1850

Number on Estate plan 125
Built by the Duke of Sutherland in 1843 - owned by him in 1850

Number on Estate plan 126
No information

Number on Estate plan 127 - 131 – now Duke Street
George ALEXANDER built houses on a number of stances in 1812 – he is shown on our 1837 Trades People list as a plasterer - Duke of Sutherland owned it in 1850 – the present day Estate Office and architect’s office replaced George Alexander’s original houses.
The present Duke Street area was originally part of Golspie Kirkton, comprising the Kirk (church), the manse and the school. A few houses lined the old road leading from the Kirk to the ford and little bridge over the burn, part of the route to the north. At the beginning of the 19th century the main road was formed turning inland after passing the church and running uphill to the newly built Golspie Inn and the mills and then, turning right, passing on the north side of the castle. Many of the original dwellings in old Kirkton had become decrepit and were being replaced by well built houses occupied by fairly well-off people and the name of the area was changed to Golspie Burn.
In 1850 a James SUTHERLAND, baker rented the first of the two new houses built by the Duke. His little bakery shop is now known as ‘The Wee Shop’.

Note: From here it is very confusing. As we read above the road which we now know as the A9 was altered. The original Estate plan seems to go in a type of horseshoe and we now need to do some guesswork!! I believe that G147 which refers to Angus Ross – is the same Angus Ross as shown in the Linen Bank reference G006. See also G139 which talks of ‘being next to’ but is nowadays on the opposite side of the road. All this leads me to believe that the following reference G146 may be in Duke Street and that G147 – 151 are on the opposite side of the road.

Number on Estate plan 132 & 133
Built by James DAVIDSON on 2 stances in 1834 - owned by the Duke of Sutherland in 1850

Number on Estate plan 134 & 135 – this may be where the Golspie Bowling club is today
Angus ROSS built house on 2 stances in 1808 - owned by the Duke of Sutherland in 1850

Number on Estate plan 136
Built by the Duke of Sutherland in 1846 - owned by him in 1850

Number on Estate plan137 – this is probably the house known today as Rostellan – see G004
Built by James BRANDER in 1820 – James is shown on militia list as a writer in Golspie - owned by the Duke of Sutherland in 1850 – see also G010

Number on Estate plan 138 – this could be The Hollies – see G003
Built by Lord Stafford in 1829 - owned by the Duke of Sutherland in 1850

Number on Estate plan 139 & 140 – this could be the school shown in G002
Built by the Free Church in 1845 - owned by them in 1850


No comments:

Post a Comment